Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Rate The Packers Draft

This post is a little overdue but I got a bit of time now to speak my mind. First I say that Teddy Thompson better know what the hell he is doing. I don't understand things he does but I am going to have to trust him(for now). Here is who they drafted and what I think.....

LB A.J. Hawk, Ohio State, 6-1 248 pounds
Although I saw hoping for a trade down to pick up a DT or Safety A.J. is a playmaker who will be a cornerstone of what should be a great linebacking crew in the future. Hopefully it is in the not to distant future.

I question this series of events?????/
2 36 (traded to New England Patriots for 52nd and 75th picks)
2 37 (from Denver for WR Javon Walker, traded to Atlanta)
I guess Teddy wanted more picks but at least with pick number 36 they should have drafted WR Chad Jackson since right after that trade he traded Walker.

OT Daryn Colledge, Boise State, 6-5 299 pounds
He is said to be weak and needs get stronger.(21 reps at bench) I have heard that he has long arms which will hurt his bench.(essentially lifting more or at least longer) Look for the Packers to try him at guard and tackle in mini-camp and possible moving Tauscher to guard.

WR Greg Jennings, Western Michigan, 5-11 196 pounds
Ran a slow 40 time and is a small WR. Not that good of numbers for a guy coming from a small school. Jury is still out on this pick. Look for him to possibly replace Chatman as punt returner.

LB Abdul Hodge, Iowa, 6-2 234 pounds
I believe this is the "steal of the draft". Hodge was overshadowed but Chad Greenway who the Vikings took in the first round. I believe Hodge is going to be better than Greenway and will be starting this year as middle LB with Barnett moving to the outside where he is better suited.

OG Jason Spitz, Louisville, 6-4 308 pounds
All I know is Mel Kiper Jr. likes this pick

WR Cory Rodgers, Texas Christian University, 6-0 1/2 197 pounds
Was a returner in college and will push to make the roster most likely as a returner

CB Will Blackmon, Boston College, 6-0 198 pounds
As I read about him I really start to like this pick. Broke all sorts of BC school records.

QB Ingle Martin, Furman, 6-2 224 pounds
Started out at Florida only to be beaten out by Chris Leake. Also punted and played other various positions at Florida before transferring to Furman to play QB.

OT Tony Moll, Nevada, 6-4 1/2 300
I don't know but the Packers do need help on the O-line.

DT Johnny Jolly, Texas A&M, 6-3 310 pounds
Don't look for Johnny on the field anytime soon. Not because of talent but due to injury. I believe he is going to have surgery soon.

DB Tyrone Culver, Fresno State, 6-1 200 pounds
Tyrone had a pretty good college career at Fresno State both on the field and off. He studied to be a dentist and hopes to be knocking teeth around for the Packers.

DE Dave Tollefson, Northwest Missouri State, 6-4 255 pounds
7th round supplemental compensatory selection...Need I say more? Ok I will anyways hopefully he makes the squad.

Overall I do think it was a great draft for the Packers. I think they got to little for Walker but what can you expect when he was injured all '05 and wants big money. I am really excited to see the Linebackers play. Hawk, Hodge and even Barnett has a nose for the ball and expect to see one or two of those guys in almost every tackle in '06. Teddy also addressed needs and upgrades also. If I were to rate the draft on a 1-10 scale I would give it 8 with the potential to even grade it higher come season start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home